Luxury Design, Past & Present
Lithograph on paper, 1925 by Alexander Kanoldt, Germany. Signed in pencil lower right with "Kanoldt". Sheet dimensions: 8.86 x 6.89 in ( 22,5 x 17,5 cm ). Framed.
Alexander Kanoldt was born in 1881 as the son of the landscape artist Edmund Kanoldt. In 1909 he finished his studies at the Academy of Arts in Karlsruhe, Germany. In the same year he became one of the founding members of the ‘Die Neue Künstlervereinigung München’ (‘New Artist’s Association Munich’) that put forward the editorial team for the Blaue Reiter in 1911. Furthermore he was part of the artist’s group “Munich’s New Secession which was founded in 1913 and included Alexej Jawlensky, Paul Klee and Karl Caspar. In 1925 he took part in the exhibition of the ‘Neue Sachlichkeit’ for which he contributed the largest number of works next to Max Beckmann. In the years between 1925 and 1931 he taught at the Academy of Arts and Trade in Wroclaw. As off 1933 he became professor and head of the Academy of Arts in Berlin.