Luxury Design, Past & Present
Pair of ELKINGTON & CO Plated and Parcel Gilt Candelabra
Each with 6 curved candle branches, the reeded column raised on a foliate shell and griffin tripartite base and decorated with hanging chains.
Elkington and Company, formed by the brothers George and Henry, was founded in the 1830’s, after perfecting their newly patented method of electro plating in gold and silver, for which their first patent was granted in 1840. They exhibited at the European and British nineteenth century Great Exhibitions, and were given permission by Queen Victoria in 1868 to copy the collection of Royal Plate. Royal warrants were granted to them by, inter alia, Queen Victoria, Edward VIIth, Queen Alexandra, and George Vth, and various European heads of states. In the early twentieth century, they supplied flatware to the White Star Line, whose ships included the Titanic.