Luxury Design, Past & Present
A Good Set of Eight Side Chairs in the Georgian Gothick Manner
Constructed in mahogany, which has been precisely carved; rising from square form blind fret carved chamfered legs and pierced stretchers; the fretwork seat rails house drop in upholstered seats; the swept uprights supporting shaped toprails with leaf carved ears, and having complexly carved and pierced central splats. Seven of the chairs bearing a label 'Frank Partridge, Works of Art, 26 King Street, St. James, and New York'.
Dimensions: H: 37.5 in / 95 cm W: 22.5 in / 57 cm D: 21.5 in / 54 cm
Frank Partridge (1875-1953), a highly regarded art and antiques dealer, established his King Street shop in 1900, and moved to New Bond Street in 1944, after a Nazi air raid destroyed the premises; Partridge was a survivor of the German U boat torpedo attack and subsequent sinking, with great loss of life, of the Lusitania, an unescorted and defenceless passenger liner, in 1915.